Evaluating and Negotiating an Offer
Once a prospective employer gives you an offer, you may have additional questions about accepting or declining the offer. Begin with an assessment of yourself, your needs, and your desires. Ask yourself a few questions:
- Do I like and want to work for my potential new boss?
- What are my career goals? Does this job offer meet my aspirations?
- What are my priorities and obligations? Will this job offer allow me to fulfill these needs?
- Does this organization meet my standards, morals, and values?
- Will this position offer me enough challenges to grow, learn, and develop new skills?
- Is the salary competitive for your industry and geographical location while meeting your personal budget needs? Glassdoor and Salary.com are fantastic resources to start researching salaries.
- Do the benefits and working environment meet my expectations?
Begin by researching the position and learning everything you can about it. Evaluate the organization’s current position in the industry using a resource such as Firsthand and D&B Hoovers (in connectSC under the “Online Resources” section). There are many areas to consider when doing this research. Explore the resources below to learn more.