Part-Time Jobs and Internships Guide for International Students

<< International Students

For on-campus positions, access our online database of jobs and internships on connectSC. Under the “Jobs and Internships” section, click on the “See All Jobs” button and filter by “On-Campus Non-work” Position Type for departments that hire students. International students are not eligible for work-study positions on campus, as these positions are funded only for U.S. citizens and permanent residents by the U.S. government. Find out more about campus departments that may be hiring. Please click here for more information about on-campus employment as an F-1 or J-1 visa student.

Internships offer the opportunity to develop job-related skills and experiences that will help you be more competitive for full-time positions in the future. Many employers will post internship opportunities 1-2 semesters in advance, so it is important to start researching options early. Access connectSC to find internship opportunities. Under “Jobs and Internships” and “See All Jobs,” select “More Filters” and go to “Work Authorization.” Select “Yes, now or in the future may need visa sponsorship” as employers seek candidates to convert to full-time hires and may not offer visa sponsorship.

Paid off-campus internship opportunities are an option for F-1 visa students during their degree program. These must occur after one academic year and require work authorization through Curricular Practical Training (CPT). On-campus positions do not require work authorization.

Make an appointment to see an advisor at the Office of International Services (OIS). Bring your offer letter and proof of enrollment in an internship course to process your CPT. Visit the OIS website for detailed requirements and instructions.