The USC Global Fellows Internship Program provides funding for USC undergraduates to live and intern in Asia for at least eight weeks during the summer. This program seeks to promote understanding and develop quality relationships between the United States and Asia. Students will be selected through an application and interview process. Internships are likely to be available in commercial, political, and cultural centers such as Ho Chi Minh City, Osaka, Seoul, and Tokyo. This summer internship program is a great opportunity for students to develop international work experience in Asia.
“The Global Fellows program has provided me with a solid introduction to Asian professional culture. This sort of experience is rarely available to undergraduate students, especially in a medical context, and thus will likely prove valuable in my future endeavors as an aspiring global physician. I believe that the Global Fellows program facilitates a mixture of professional and cultural experience that is not available elsewhere. I have been able to learn the language and culture of Taiwan in a way that many people are not able to, and I thus hope to return sometime in the future. My career path has certainly been shaped by participation in this program.”
-Jackson, Global Health (Taipei)
“Being a first generation college student, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would have the opportunity to live and intern abroad in Asia for the summer. I was given the opportunity to be exposed to a completely different culture from my own and learn about a country and peoples I may have never encountered without this program. Through this program I am able to bring back my experiences back to not only my university but my community as well. This program is a great chance for students to gain professional skills and foster cross cultural connections and I am grateful that I was given the opportunity to experience all of it.”
-Julissa, Law, History and Culture (Taipei)
“Living and working in Hong Kong has really improved my college experience as I would not have been able to go abroad without the Global Fellows program. I feel that it is very important for college students to get the chance to experience other cultures to become both more independent. Being able to work alongside other interns who come from Hong Kong enriched my experience because I was able to talk over the course of my internship and understand our commonalities and differences. I’m so grateful for this opportunity as this summer I will truly never forget!”
-Lauren, Applied and Computational Mathematics/Economics (Hong Kong)
- Increase student understanding of international business, politics, and culture
- Establish relationships with professionals in their field/industry
- Gain invaluable work experience under the supervision of international and/or U.S. organizations abroad
- Serve as ambassadors and representatives of the University of Southern California and the U.S.
- Must maintain good academic standing (Cannot participate if on university probation)
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at USC (for both Fall and Spring)
- Must have at least 1 semester remaining in their undergraduate degree program
- Holding valid passports for at least 6 months past program start date
- Must be available to attend all pre-departure events
- Program dates: Mid-May – Late July
Housing, airfare and international health insurance are covered upfront. Each student will receive a stipend (approximately $1,700 – $1,800 depending upon in-person location) to adequately cover basic expenses, such as food, local transportation, and cultural activities. The program is not intended to cover all expenses, therefore Global Fellows should be prepared to contribute financially to their experience and budget wisely.
All application materials must be submitted by 11:59 pm PT on Wednesday, November 29. Candidates will be notified via email by Thursday, January 4, 2024 if they are selected to participate in an interview with the Global Fellows Selection Committee. Selected Global Fellows will be notified via email no later than early February. Global Fellows will participate in three mandatory pre-departure, cross-cultural sessions before departure and attend a debriefing meeting upon their return.
If interested in applying for the Summer 2024 program, please follow our two-step process:
- Complete an Online Application via Scholarship Universe
- Submit your Supplement Documents via connectSC, Job ID# 342587
- Current Resume
- STARS Report or Unofficial Transcript
- Personal Essay: a one-page, single spaced (1 inch margins) narrative explaining your current academic program, why you are interested in an internship in Asia, future plans which might include further contact with this region, and any Asian language or culture courses taken. You may also want to discuss how you think this internship experience will enhance your undergraduate experience and have a positive impact on your future. (Essay must be typed in no smaller than 10-point font.)
For additional questions, please contact the Internship Engagement Team.
- Apply By
- Nov 29, 2023
- Decision Date
- Feb 1, 2024