Finding a Mentor
The First Generation Mentor Program provides you with exposure to the working world and focuses on your professional and career development. Undergraduate students will be paired with USC alumni who were also first generation college students.
What You Will Gain
You will gain professional development and career direction while fostering a relationship with a person who can be a mentor and role model. You will be able to discuss any concerns or challenges you face as a first generation college student at USC while gaining support, direction, and connectivity from your mentor.
The program requires a commitment of one school year. Mentors and mentees are expected to meet once per month for a professional activity. Suggested professional activities are reviewing resumes, drafting cover letters, practicing interview skills, a company tour, and lunch or dinner. We will hold 2-4 workshops per semester (October – April) that all mentees and mentors are required to attend. These events will focus on career development and allow an opportunity for all program participants to network and interact as a group. Mentees are expected to serve as mentors once graduated. Selected participants must attend a mandatory orientation.
Workshops will take place at USC on the following evenings:
- Wednesday, October 18, 2017 — Kick-Off Event; Networking & Relationship Building
- Wednesday, November 15, 2017 — Elevator Pitch; Resume & Cover Letter
- Wednesday, December 6, 2017 — Optional Event
- Wednesday, January 17, 2018 — Mock Career Fair
- Tuesday, February 13, 2018 — Fellowships & Graduate School Panel
- Wednesday, March 21, 2018 — Industry Night
- Wednesday, April 18, 2018 — End-of-the-Year Celebration
- Maintain good academic standing.
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at USC.
- Have completed one full semester of classes at USC, with the exception of first-semester transfer students.
Online application and supporting materials are closed for the 2016-2017 school year. Applications will be available in Summer 2017. Applications and supporting materials must be completed and submitted in connectSC, Job ID#146229, by 12:00 pm on September 15, 2017. Candidates will be notified via email if they are selected for an interview.
Please submit a 2-step application process:
- Complete an online application form [including a personal essay (200 words or less) and identify one faculty member or university administrator reference]. Please note that you cannot save this document.
- Submit supplemental documents via connectSC, Job ID# 146229:
- Current resume
- STARS report (Available on OASIS)
If you were a first generation college student and would like to become a mentor to one of our undergraduate students, click here to learn more.
Students will be selected through an application and interview process. Interviews will occur September-October 2017. Selected mentees will be notified via email no later than early October 2017. There is no minimum GPA requirement. Students are expected to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.