The USC Career Center is a member of the Career and Internship Connections (CIC). Established in 1998, the CIC is a 16-school consortium that holds an annual job and internship fair in New York.
The off-campus career and interview fair is typically scheduled during winter break, so you have the time to travel to the east coast. Make sure that you are able to cover the costs of your travel and lodging, and apply to the CIC Travel Fund. Register, upload your resume, and APPLY for positions by November 25.
2020 CIC Career Fair Date:
- Date: Tuesday, January 7, 2020
New York Hilton Midtown
1335 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10019
Registering early for the events means you will get updated information on the events, employers, and jobs posted. You can also create search agents to alert you of postings in particular cities and/or fields, follow employers and events to get notifications and updates, and a host of other Handshake platform features.
How to Register for the CICs:
- Go to: https://cic.joinhandshake.com/login
- Click “Sign up for an account” and create a Student account with your college email address by clicking Student/Alumni and then “Register a New Account” at the bottom. Registrations without a college email address will be declined.
- Confirm your email address – Watch for an email from Handshake so you can confirm your address.
- PLEASE NOTE! Using your college email address will auto-approve your account. Any account requests using a non-university email address will be declined. If you created an account last year, you can use the same account, so log in with your email and/or click “forgot password” to reset it.
- Complete your profile
- Once your account is confirmed, you should update/complete your profile, particularly your graduation date, student class year, and college. The “Career and Internship Connection” will be listed as your “Primary education” because that is where your Handshake account is registered, and the data under that entry is what is used to qualify you for jobs (including major and GPA). Indicate your home institution under the “College” section. You can choose to also list your college separately on your profile, but it is not necessary.
- RSVP for the fair under the “Events” tab.
- Apply for interview consideration by searching the jobs posted to the Handshake system.
- As long as you have the CIC listed as your primary education, you will still be able to add in your other college information into your educational record, it just will not be your primary education.
Apply for the CIC Travel Fund
The CIC Travel Fund is an opportunity for USC students who are interested in participating in the CIC event, but cannot attend because of cost associated with travel and lodging. This program supports students’ interest in exploring opportunities outside of the Southern California area, specifically in New York City. Students will be selected through an application process. This program awards enough funding to cover round-trip airfare and one night’s hotel stay (up to $600).
Students will be selected based on their application. The CIC Travel Fund will be awarded upon returning from the CIC events, but students will be notified via email by Friday, December 13, 2019 if they are a CIC scholarship recipient. There is no minimum GPA requirement.
- Maintains good academic standing (Cannot participate if on university probation; SJACS records will confirm student status)
- Currently enrolled in a degree program at USC
- Graduation date between May 2020 – May 2022
- Registers and is selected to interview at a CIC event
Applications and supporting materials must be completed and submitted by 12:00 pm on November 26. All students must complete the following application process:
- Complete an online application form
- Email Erika Rodriguez a 2 – 3 paragraph essay explaining how attending the CIC fair will help in pursuing their career goals upon graduation
Upon returning from the fair, students must also provide:
- Names of organizations with which they met and positions for which they applied or received interviews
- CIC attendance confirmation email (the Career Center will verity student attendance with event organizer)
- Proof or airfare and hotel stay