“The Global Fellows program has provided me with a solid introduction to Asian professional culture. This sort of experience is rarely available to undergraduate students, especially in a medical context, and thus will likely prove valuable in my future endeavors as an aspiring global physician. I believe that the Global Fellows program facilitates a mixture of professional and cultural experience that is not available elsewhere. I have been able to learn the language and culture of Taiwan in a way that many people are not able to, and I thus hope to return sometime in the future. My career path has certainly been shaped by participation in this program.”
-Jackson, Global Health (Taipei)
“Being a first generation college student, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would have the opportunity to live and intern abroad in Asia for the summer.I was given the opportunity to be exposed to a completely different culture from my own and learn about a country and peoples I may have never encountered without this program. Through this program I am able to bring back my experiences back to not only my university but my community as well. This program is a great chance for students to gain professional skills and foster cross cultural connections and I am grateful that I was given the opportunity to experience all of it.”
-Julissa, Law, History and Culture (Taipei)
“Living and working in Hong Kong has really improved my college experience as I would not have been able to go abroad without the Global Fellows program. I feel that it is very important for college students to get the chance to experience other cultures to become both more independent. Being able to work alongside other interns who come from Hong Kong enriched my experience because I was able to talk over the course of my internship and understand our commonalities and differences. I’m so grateful for this opportunity as this summer I will truly never forget!”
-Lauren, Applied and Computational Mathematics/Economics (Hong Kong)
- Increase student understanding of international business, politics, and culture
- Establish relationships with professionals in their field/industry
- Gain invaluable work experience under the supervision of international and/or U.S. organizations abroad
- Serve as ambassadors and representatives of the University of Southern California and the U.S.
- Must maintain good academic standing (Cannot participate if on university probation; SJACS records will confirm student status)
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at USC
- Must have at least 1 semester remaining in their undergraduate degree program
- Enrolled during the semester before and after the program
- Holding valid passports
- Must be available to attend pre-departure events (TBD)
- Program dates: Mid-May – Late July
Housing, airfare and international health insurance are covered upfront. Each student will receive a stipend (approximately $1,700 – $2,700 depending upon location) to adequately cover basic expenses, such as food, local transportation, and cultural activities. The program is not intended to cover all expenses, therefore Global Fellows should be prepared to contribute financially to their experience and budget wisely.
Applications for the Summer 2021 have closed.
Please check back in August 2021 regarding the Summer 2022 application.