Presented in partnership with the USC Dornsife Pre-Graduate Advising Office.
Fall Date: Thursday, October 20, 2022
Time: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm PT
Location: Outdoors on Trousdale Parkway (rain or shine!)
The fair is open to both USC and non-USC students from all class years and majors, including transfer students and spring admits.
What is the Graduate Schools Fair, and why should I attend?
Once a year in the fall semester, the Career Center, in partnership with the USC Dornsife Pre-Graduate Advising Office, sponsors the Graduate Schools Fair.
This is your opportunity to learn about graduate schools and gain an early start on the application process. If you are thinking about going to graduate school, attend the event to explore what options are available to you. You will meet with school representatives to develop personal interaction in asking questions of a specific school or program. At the event, you can:
- Explore the possibilities of graduate and professional education.
- Learn about the requirements for programs.
- Get detailed information about various schools and their programs.
- Network with professionals in your future field.
How do I choose a school?
The following sites can help you decide where to and how to begin your search:
How do I prepare for the fair?
Do you have questions about graduate school or want to chat with an advisor about graduate programs? Make an appointment with the USC Dornsife Pre-Graduate Advising Office and/or attend the events of Pre-Graduate School Week. Prior to the fair, be sure to:
- Research graduate schools of interest by reading their program descriptions and visiting their websites.
- Prepare questions for schools of interest based on your research. Make an appointment with the USC Dornsife Pre-Graduate Advising Office to get started.
- Prepare your elevator pitch to highlight the skills and knowledge you are building and your areas of interest.
- Be prepared to answer questions representatives might ask.
What do I do at the fair?
- Come dressed in professional attire.
What should I ask the admissions representatives at the fair?
An informed and focused set of questions will convey to the representative that you are truly interested in graduate school. Your questions allow the representative to avoid generalities and treat you as an individual. These are some questions that should help you get the most out of the conversations:
- What do you think is unique about your program?
- Are students admitted in both fall and spring semesters?
- Is it possible to work full-time and complete the degree as a part-time student?
- How much does the program cost (tuition, student fees, and housing)?
- What types of financial aid are available (fellowships, assistantships, scholarships, and loans)?
- Could you tell me more about student life on campus (student organizations, housing, support groups, and diversity of the students)?
- What is the location surrounding the school like (mountains, ocean, rural, or city)?
- What are the admission requirements (deadline, GPA, undergraduate coursework, entrance exams, experience, and interview)?
- What resources are available to help students find positions after graduation?
- Would it be possible for me to arrange a campus visit in which I could meet with admissions representatives, current students, and faculty?
- May I contact you if I have additional questions?
The USC Dornsife Pre-Graduate School Advising Office serves all current USC students and alumni who are considering graduate school. They offer a wide variety of advising services to guide you through the academic and administrative processes necessary to achieve your goals. Advisors are available to meet with you Monday through Friday between 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Call (213) 740-3800 to schedule an appointment. You can also email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Visit the fair registration page starting in June, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.