What is a Mock Interview?
A mock interview is an opportunity to practice before your actual interview. The focus of the interview is to resemble a real interview as closely as possible. Mock interviews help students identify best ways to answer traditional or behavior based questions and learn what is expected in a job interview. During a mock interview session, an advisor provides constructive feedback on all aspects of the job interview process.
Why You Should Conduct a Mock Interview
- Allows you to practice, practice, practice before the actual interview
- Helps to reflect on your self-knowledge, experiences/accomplishments, industry knowledge as it relates to the job of interest
- Identifies verbal and non-verbal cues that could be beneficial or damaging in the interview
- Safe place to obtain feedback and practice interview skills
Mock Interview Resources
- connectSC Mock Interview module – Select from a variety of questions pertaining to certain industries and record your answers with your webcam, which you can send to trusted sources to get feedback on your answers.
- Review common interview questions.
- In the connectSC “Resources” tab, CareerBeam’s “Getting the Job” tab and Vault’s “Resumes & more” section includes resources for interviewing.
- Practice your answers to these common questions out loud. The more you practice, the better you’ll do in a mock interview.
- Schedule a mock interview appointment with a career advisor via connectSC.
- Schedule your appointment at least 2 business days in advance.
- Email your resume and copy of the job description so your advisor can create tailored interview questions for you.