The transition from high school to university can be both exciting and overwhelming for first-year students. As a first-year student at USC, you have a wealth of opportunities waiting to be explored. From academic support and research opportunities to internships, extracurricular involvement, and networking events, USC provides a supportive environment to help you thrive. Embrace these opportunities, step out of your comfort zone, and make the most of your time at USC as you embark on a transformative educational experience.
Join Student Organizations and Clubs:
Immerse yourself in the diverse range of student organizations and clubs available at USC. Explore your interests, hobbies, and passions by joining clubs related to your academic field, cultural background, sports, arts, or community service. From student government organizations to intramural sports clubs, USC has all that there is to offer! Engaging in these groups allows you to connect with like-minded peers, develop leadership skills, and make lasting friendships. Visit EngageSC to explore all of the student organizations available to you.
From resume building and interview preparation to internship and job search support, the Career Center will equip you with the tools and guidance you need to succeed in the professional world. First-year students can access career advising, attend career fairs and Trojan Talks, and utilize connectSC to access job boards and career exploration tools. The Career Center also facilitates connections with industry professionals, alumni networks, and internship opportunities.
Exploring the career development process during the early stages of college allows you to proactively shape your future and gain a competitive edge in the job market. By exploring potential career paths, identifying your strengths and interests, and acquiring relevant skills and experiences, you can lay a solid foundation for their professional journey. Early career development also provides opportunities for networking, mentorship, and internships, enabling students to establish valuable connections and gain practical knowledge in their desired fields.
Attend Career Development Events and Workshops
Prepare for your future by attending career development workshops and events organized by the Career Center.
- Career fairs are dynamic events that connect students with a wide range of employers and career opportunities. These fairs provide a platform for students to network, explore different industries, and learn about job openings and internships. By attending career fairs, you can engage directly with recruiters, showcase their skills and qualifications, and make a memorable impression.
- Trojan Talks are a great way to explore an organization or an industry. Regardless of your major, degree, or class level, these virtual information sessions provide valuable insights into different career paths. These events are hosted by employers who share information about their organizations, open positions, and their application process.
- Skill Up is a comprehensive program designed to enhance your professional skills and prepare you for success in your future career. Through a combination of workshops, online resources, and experiential learning opportunities, Skill Up will equip you with valuable skills such as communication, critical thinking, problem-solving, and leadership within the workplace.
- Transform your high school resume into a college resume using VMock Smart Resume, an innovative career platform available to all USC students that offers personalized feedback on resumes. Smart Resume Analyzes resumes based on industry standards and provides instant feedback on formatting, content, and overall effectiveness. This powerful tool helps students optimize their resumes, stand out to employers, and increase their chances of landing interviews. Our goal is to ensure that every first-year student uploads their resume to Smart Resume.
Connect with Mentors and Peer Advisors:
Take advantage of mentorship programs and peer advisor networks offered through the Career Center. By tapping into the Trojan Network, students can access a vast pool of industry professionals, alumni who have already achieved success in their respective fields, and potential employers. These resources connect you with the advisors at the career center and alumni who can provide guidance, support, and advice as you navigate your first year. Building these relationships can help you make informed decisions and maximize your USC experience!
As a student, the Trojan Network allows you to:
- Connect with USC alumni and students to expand your network.
- Post on the Discussion Board to engage in career related discussions. Ask a question and let Trojans know how to help you!
- Explore available jobs, internships, and experiential learning projects shared by Trojans.
- Find a mentor and gain valuable career advice specific to your field.
Your first year at USC is a unique opportunity to explore, grow, and connect with the vibrant campus community. By actively engaging in student organizations, attending campus events, and attending career development workshops, and connecting with mentors, you’ll enhance your USC experience and pave the way for a fulfilling college journey.