Global Fellows Internship Program
The USC Global Fellows Internship Program provides stipends for USC undergraduates who are United States citizens to live and intern in Asia for an eight-week period during the summer. This program seeks to promote understanding and develop quality relationships between the United States and Asia. Students will be selected through an application and interview process. Internships are likely to be available in commercial, political and cultural centers such as Beijing, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taipei, and Tokyo, among others.
The USC Global Fellows Internship Program aims to increase student understanding of international business, politics, and culture. Students will have the opportunity to establish relationships and gain invaluable work experience under the supervision of International and/or American organizations abroad. In addition, the selected Global Fellows will serve as ambassadors and representatives of the University of Southern California and the United States.
Candidates must maintain good academic standing, and be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at USC. Candidates must have a graduation date between December 2015 and May 2018 and should be able to articulate their interest in Asia. In addition, candidates must be United States citizens holding valid US passports and be available for a continuous eight-week period during the summer of 2015. Applications will not be accepted from candidates studying abroad during the Spring 2015 or Fall 2015 semesters.
The program provides approximately $6,000 for each student depending on the internship location and housing situation. The stipend will be adequate to cover basic expenses, such as airfare, local transportation, food and lodging. The stipend is not intended to cover all expenses, therefore Global Fellows should be prepared to contribute financially to their experience and budget wisely.
Applications and supporting materials must be completed and returned to the Internship Programs Office by 12:00 pm on December 5, 2014. Candidates will be notified via e-mail by January 7, 2015 if they are selected to participate in an interview with the Global Fellows Selection Committee. Selected Global Fellows will be notified via e-mail no later than January 30, 2015. Global Fellows will participate in a mandatory cross-cultural orientation before departure and attend a debriefing meeting upon return. Typically, all internships will take place between May 25, 2015 and July 17, 2015.
Please submit a complete packet, containing the following documents to complete the application process:
- Complete the online application form
- Current resume
- STARS Report (Available on OASIS)
- Personal Essay: a one-page, single spaced narrative explaining your current academic program, why you are interested in an internship in Asia, future plans which might include further contact with this region and any Asian language or culture courses taken. You may also want to discuss how you think this internship experience will enhance your undergraduate experience and have a positive impact on your future. Essay must be typed in no smaller than 10-point font.
- Two (2) recommendations (using the forms provided), including at least one from a faculty member with knowledge of your interest in Asia and your ability to work successfully in unstructured situations. No recommendations from peers or family members will be accepted. You may submit one recommendation from a previous employer. A business card and/or letterhead stationery is required. Recommendations need to come with the complete application. No exceptions.
Students will be selected on the basis of interest in Asia and the capability of satisfying the requirements of the internship sponsors. Academic standing will be considered, however there is no minimum G.P.A. requirement. Students are expected to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills, and have some previous work experience.
2015 Applications Available Soon!
- USC Global Fellows Application Form Coming Soon
- USC Global Fellows Letter of Recommendation Form