Thank you for expressing interest in becoming a mentor for the 2018-2019 First-Generation Mentor Program. This program provides an opportunity for current first-generation college students to be paired with and mentored by alumni who were also the first in their family to go to college.
As a mentor, you have an important role promoting professional development for your mentees. One way this is accomplished is through participating in the mandatory workshops for all mentors and mentees. Event topics focus around professional development (i.e., networking, mock interviewing, etc.). Before each event, you will receive notification of the month’s topic so that you can work on that specific topic with your mentee more deeply one-on-one if you so choose.
Workshops will take place at USC on the following evenings:
- Wednesday, October 24, 2018
- Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- Wednesday, December 5, 2018 (this event is optional, as it is the first day of finals!)
- Wednesday, January 23, 2019
- Wednesday, February 20, 2019
- Wednesday, March 20, 2019
- Wednesday, April 17, 2019
Please calendar these dates because we ask that all mentors and mentees attend the mandatory events.
How do I apply?
The application is a two-part process:
- If you have not done so already, please sign up for Career Network, our exclusive online mentoring platform where alumni can share their career and industry-related experiences with students and other alumni. USC students can connect with you for informational interviews, speed networking, or longer, semester-based mentorships.
- NOTE: On your profile, make sure to select “I was a first generation college student at USC” under the Extra Activities section.
- Once you’ve created or updated your profile on Career Network, submit an online application form by clicking here.
Application deadline is Friday, August 3, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
New mentors and mentors that participated in the program prior to the 2017-2018 cohort will be asked for a phone interview during the month of August. Student mentee applications are due in early September, so matches will be made in late September/early October after student interviews. You will be notified of participation status via email, as the program only has the capacity for roughly 35 mentors.
If you have any questions, contact Gina Ibrahim at (213) 740-9654 or email@example.com.