Your Career Path
Research and Explore Careers
Equipped with an understanding of yourself, your next step is to explore various career options. The following strategies and resources will help you obtain information about industries, job descriptions, career pathways & more:
Explore by Major
Through your major, you will develop competencies that will offer you clues to various career options. To explore common career paths according to your major, consider the following resources
- Career options organized by major: Visit What Can I Do With This Major to see a list of popular careers as it relates to majors.
- Meet with your academic advisor: Your academic advisor can provide additional insight as to the skills and experiences you will develop in your major and how they are transferable to a career.
- connectSC Career Network: View the types of careers alumni have pursued with the same or similar majors.
While exploring common career paths according to your major is a great starting place for career exploration, do note that it is often possible to pursue careers that are not directly related to your academic curriculum. In addition to your major, employers often consider other factors, such as your extracurricular activities, student leadership, additional skillsets, and internship experience when determining your qualifications for a position.
There are several online research tools that you can access 24/7 to gather more information about career pathways, graduate schools, and employers, such as:
- Career Access Resource Library (CARL): Online library of curated links to graduate schools, career development, professional associations, and other resources.
- O*Net Online: Provides detailed career information including required training and education, job duties, related careers, salary, and more.
- Vault Career Guides: Read & download Career Guides for in-depth information on various careers, graduate programs, employers, and industries. Free access via connectSC Resources.
Learn from Alumni
Tap into the Trojan Family to gather career advice on the careers of your interest. Alumni can offer valuable insight on how to transition from USC into the workplace. Many alums are excited to give back to current students. This strategy would also allow you to develop your professional network. To get started, utilize the following resources:
- Candid Career: Watch video clips of USC alumni being interviewed about their career paths. Many of these alumni have volunteered to be a resource and can be contacted through this site. Accessible via connectSC Resources.
- connectSC Career Network: Contact alumni through this online directory of USC alumni who volunteered to assist with career advice and informational interviews. Accessible via connectSC.
- Explore@4 Career Panels: Interact with alumni & industry professionals at these moderated Q&A panels to explore various career paths. Visit our Calendar for upcoming panels and our Media section for past audio recordings.
- LinkedIn Alumni: Utilize LinkedIn to look up USC alumni and review their career paths. Requires a LinkedIn Account. Refer to our LinkedIn webinars in connectSC Resources and LinkedIn.com’s University Page for more information.
Explore Through Internships
Another great way to learn about careers is try it out through an internship. An internship provides a short-term opportunity to obtain training, exposure and hands-on experience in a real work environment in the industry of your interest. To learn more about how to obtain an internship, visit our Internships section.